APSHCL stands for Andhra Pradesh State Housing Corporation Limited, a nodal agency that oversees the implementation of various housing schemes in the state. APSHCL aims to provide affordable and quality housing to the weaker sections of the society, such as the urban poor, rural poor, scheduled castes, scheduled tribes, and other backward classes. APSHCL also provides financial and technical assistance to developers, for building homes for these groups.
APSHCL’s Vision and Mission
APSHCL’s vision is to create a slum-free Andhra Pradesh, where every citizen has access to a dignified and sustainable living environment. APSHCL’s mission is to facilitate the construction of 25 lakh houses by 2024, under the YSR Housing Scheme, which is the flagship program of the state government. APSHCL also strives to propagate cost-effective and eco-friendly building components and technologies, to reduce the environmental impact of housing.
APSHCL’s Role and Functions
APSHCL is the nodal agency for taking up all centrally assisted housing schemes being sanctioned for various groups for the state. Some of these schemes are:
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Urban: This scheme aims to provide housing for all in urban areas by 2022. APSHCL is responsible for identifying the beneficiaries, sanctioning the subsidies, and monitoring the progress of the projects.
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) – Gramin: This scheme aims to provide housing for all in rural areas by 2022. APSHCL is responsible for implementing the scheme in convergence with other rural development programs, such as MGNREGA and NRLM.
- Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY): This scheme aims to transform slums into livable habitats, by providing basic amenities and security of tenure. APSHCL is responsible for preparing slum-free city plans, mobilizing community participation, and executing the projects.
- Indira Awas Yojana (IAY): This scheme aims to provide assistance to rural poor for constructing or upgrading their houses. APSHCL is responsible for selecting the beneficiaries, releasing the funds, and supervising the quality of construction.
Apart from these schemes, APSHCL also implements state-sponsored housing schemes, such as:
- YSR Housing Scheme: This scheme aims to provide free houses to eligible beneficiaries belonging to economically weaker sections (EWS), low income groups (LIG), middle income groups (MIG), and high income groups (HIG). APSHCL is responsible for identifying the land, preparing the estimates, and executing the projects.
- NTR Housing Scheme: This scheme aims to provide subsidized houses to eligible beneficiaries belonging to SCs, STs, BCs, minorities, and fishermen communities. APSHCL is responsible for conducting demand surveys, allocating the houses, and releasing the subsidies.
APSHCL’s Achievements and Future Plans
APSHCL has achieved remarkable results in providing affordable housing to the people of Andhra Pradesh. Some of its achievements are:
- Constructed more than 15 lakh houses under various schemes since its inception in 1979.
- Implemented innovative technologies such as precast concrete panels, ferrocement components, stabilized mud blocks, etc., to reduce cost and time of construction.
- Established a network of district offices, regional offices, zonal offices, and project management units (PMUs) to ensure smooth functioning and coordination.
- Received several awards and recognitions from national and international agencies for its performance and best practices.
APSHCL has also set ambitious targets and plans for the future. Some of them are:
- To construct 25 lakh houses by 2024 under the YSR Housing Scheme.
- To achieve 100% saturation of PMAY-Urban and PMAY-Gramin by 2022.
- To make Andhra Pradesh a slum-free state by 2024 under RAY.
- To promote green building concepts and energy efficiency measures in housing projects.
- To enhance capacity building and skill development of staff and stakeholders.
APSHCL is committed to fulfilling its vision and mission of providing affordable and quality housing to all sections of society in Andhra Pradesh. For more information about APSHCL and its schemes, please visit its official website.